Recently my husband and I made an uncharacteristic decision.
Since the beginning of the year, we have been planning to escape the winter cold of Gauteng and spend two months in our motorhome at the South Coast of KZN. We planned, researched, made bookings, paid deposits. We were due to leave on 4 July.
Then the uncertainty came. South Africa, and particularly Gauteng, the province where we live, is in the throes of the third Covid wave.
Then news articles started filtering in. There is a new Covid variant taking over, especially in Gauteng. On Saturday 26 June, our daughter sent us a news article about the president addressing the nation the following day.
We didn’t know what to do. We prayed for guidance. We didn’t have all the facts. We had no idea what the president would say although we suspected he might restrict travel out of Gauteng.
All the guidance we received was to seek the counsel of the saints.
Where there is no guidance, the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory. (Psalm 11:14) The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, But a wise man is he who listens to counsel. (Prov 12:15)
I phoned my best friend and prayer partner. She suggested I shouldn’t think of it as panicking, but as rather having an extra week of holiday. My husband’s friend pointed out that if we left and the provincial borders were closed, we could always come back whereas if we didn’t try, we could be stuck in Gauteng. Our son-in-law helped us to look at worst case scenarios either way.
We worked frantically to squash a week’s worth of preparation into a couple of hours, packing, defrosting the freezer, washing, securing bikes, shopping.
We arrived in Harrismith in the Free State just after sunset. We couldn’t listen to the president’s address because we were having internet problems but we could see the details afterwards. Travel into and out of Gauteng is prohibited but there is no restriction on crossing other provincial borders.
We made the right decision but it could have gone either way. If the restrictions were merely a change in curfew and alcohol sales again, we would have looked and felt foolish. If all provincial borders had been closed, we would have been stuck in the Free State. If caravan parks and places of accommodation had been shut down, we would have had to turn around and come home.
We are now in Karridene, in a lovely caravan park within walking distance of the sea. We are going on to Scottburgh in just less than three weeks.
It is very difficult to make decisions when we don’t know the future. Fortunately we know the God that holds the future. He knows everything and while we can still make bad decisions even if we follow Him and trust Him, He will always be with us through all the consequences and confusion.
Lord, please keep me close to You and help me to recognise Your guidance when You give it. May I always commit all my ways to You. Amen.