Yesterday I made cards with the grandchildren during “Granny Time.” They were meant to be Easter cards, but mine turned out to be a Thank You card, mainly because I had Thank You stickers in my craft box.
It got me to thinking about 1 Thes 5:16-18
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. (NIV)
At the end of 2017 my best friend gave me a journal with pictures to colour for each entry. I already had a quiet time journal so I decided to use this one as a Thanks Diary. Every day I would try to list new things for which I was grateful. I got to 206 before my other journal finished and I had to use my Thanks Diary as my journal.
I think it is a good habit to try to get back into in this topsy turvy time so here are today’s ten items on my thanks list.
- That I can walk without pain. Some years ago I suffered from Sciatica and could barely walk ten steps without taking a break.
- That I can breathe freely. Normally I am only thankful for this for a short while after I have got over a cold.
- For a garden.
- For birds that visit my feeding stations.
- For eyes to see and contact lenses and reading glasses so I can see in focus.
- For a sewing machine so I can help my granddaughter make a dress for her sister’s birthday.
- For food in the house and enough energy to be creative in using tinned food so we don’t have to go shopping too often.
- For the growth of the seeds I planted two weeks ago. I only have to do the planting. God causes the growing.
- That all my children are well and confined in pleasant places.
- For our church who have organised weekly prayer meetings and daily devotions.
I’m sure you can all add your ten items to a Thank You list. Please feel free to share. We are not called on to give thanks for all circumstances, but rather in all circumstances.
Thank you, Lord, for all your gifts to us. Amen.